Crème Caramel

As far as I can remember, this has always been one of my top 3 favs when it comes to desserts. I started using this recipe when I was in 5th or 6th grade. Back then I was so proud of making my very first flan all on my own. I'd choose this over chocolate any day...

Ingredients:
1 1/4 C Sugar
8 Egg Yolks
2 1/2 C Whole Milk, scalded
1/4 t lime or lemon rind, grated
1/2 t pure vanilla extract

Directions
Preheat oven to 325°F
Melt 1/2 cup of the sugar in an 8" round baking pan over low heat. Tip pan back and forth to distribute the caramelized sugar evenly.
Beat egg yolks until well blended. Add remaining sugar gradually, stirring to mix well.
Pour egg/sugar mix in caramel-lined pan. Place it in a larger shallow baking pan and set in the middle rack of the oven. Pour enough hot water in the larger baking pan until it comes halfway up the ides of the custard pan. Bake for 1 1/2 - 2 hours or until knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
Let cool to room temperature. Chill for several hours before serving.
Run a knife around the sides and quickly turn the pan over into a serving plate.
Pour the caramel sauce over it.

variations:
Orange Crème Caramel - line caramel coated pan with mandarin orange slices. Substitute orange rind in place or lime or lemon rind. Follow the rest of the instructions.

Coffee Crème Caramel - Substitute 1 tsp. instant coffee dissolved in 2 T milk in place of rind.

No comments: