Empress Rolls

I miss Ding Qua Qua from Cebu City. Out of all the dim sum restaurants I've tried from all parts of the world, this place still has 1st place in my heart. In fact, this was the first ever dim sum restaurant I went to. I must have been 5 or 6 years old when my folks first took me there. I was so amazed at the carts rolling around and bringing in assorted delicious treats. Since then, we had countless happy memories of family trips to Cebu just so we could eat at this place. One of my favorite from there is called the Empress Roll. It's a simple steamed cabbage roll but oh so good! Since I could never find it served here in SF, I was inspired to recreate it. After looking through countless recipes, I've come up with my version.




Filling:
1/2 lb ground pork
1/2 T soy sauce
1/2 t ginger, minced
2T green oninon, minced
3/4 t salt
1/2 t sugar
1 small egg, beaten
1 t semsame seed oil
1/4 t ground white pepper
1 T cornstarch
1 medium carrot, minced

1 head Savoy cabbage, leaves blanched and hard stems trimmed.

1 C water

1/2 C chicken stock
1 t cornstarch mixed with 1 T water

Directions:
Mix filling ingredients well in a bowl.
Wrap in blanched cabbage and seal with a toothpick
Arrange the cabbage rolls in a pan.
Pour water over rolls and cook on low for 45 minutes.
Remove rolls and arrange on a plate.
Do not discard remaining liquid from the pan (should be almost evaporated)
Add chicken stock and cornstarch mix to the remaining liquid.
Bring to a boil for about 2 minutes.
Remove from heat and pour sauce over rolls. Serve warm

No comments: